Monday, February 4, 2013

Heather Carr

When I was about 12 years old, I, along with some other children, met Keith Haring. It was the coolest thing ever! Sadly, we all disappointed him with our lack of questions, which he mistook as disinterest, when actually we were in such awe, we were speechless. And ever since then, I have been trying to figure out how I could have a life so filled with art.


I have always thought of myself as an artist, but since leaving high school, acting on that idea has constantly been put on hold for more "practical" things...   It got to the point a few years ago, where I could no longer neglect this part of me.  So far, I'm pretty happy with the results of my labor.  I am influenced by low-brow art and street art, as well as expressionism.  My goal is to create paintings that convey strong emotions and tell a bit of a story.  I use Russian words a lot in my art, as Russian studies were a part of my life for many years.  I even spent a month living with a family there when it was still the Soviet Union, and found it interesting enough to return two more times.  I sign my paintings in Russian: XE3EP (pronounced Heh-zairrr - that's what my Russian friends call me, as there is no "th" in Russian).  When I am not painting, I am caring for my two young children who, thankfully, also love art. 

by Heather Carr
A special thanks to the blog We're All Mad in Here for introducing me to Heather's Art.


GALLERY:


The Art Work of Heather Carr

 



Video of Heather at Work:



LINKS:

Check out her website HeatherUnderground.com
Follow on Facebook


Heather Carr answers 25 of the Best

Who was the last person you told "I Love You"?
Heather:  My children. 


What will you find in your refrigerator if you looked right now? 
Heather:  Mostly healthy stuff like kale… and, uh, bacon… plus a bit of an incredible boozy homemade fruitcake my friend sent me all the way from London, and a bottle of Mad Housewife Chardonnay (I want to be on their labels!!!). 


What was the last expletive that you used? 
Heather:  No doubt it was "ooouch!!" followed by the f-bomb. 


When was the last time you cried? 
Heather:  Monday. Friday. Saturday. Tuesday… Been having a rough time lately. 


What is the worst tasting thing you have ever eaten? 
Heather:  A lick of car wax, that I mistook for frosting when I was a child. Durian might be a pretty close second. I really wanted to like it though. Sorry, Durian! 


In the film of your life, who plays you and what is the title? 
Heather:  What Was She Thinking? Starring Marilyn (haha) as young me, followed by Kathy Bates for my later years. 


What is the last furry thing that you touched? 
Heather:  The hood of my parka. To me, 40 degrees is freezing… 


When was the last time you had a hangover? 
Heather:  Does it count as a hangover if you are still drunk when you wake up? That Back-to-School Mom's Margarita Night kicks my ass every September! Those moms can drink!!!. 


Do you remember the last time you saw a random act of kindness? 
Heather:  Thankfully, I seem to catch glimpses of those quite often. 


If your iPod could only hold 3 songs, what would they be? 
Heather:  Oh, this question is evil. I listen to all kinds of music all the time, especially while I'm painting. What songs I can't live without depends on my mood…Here's one of my moods: "White Blank Page" -- Mumford & Sons, "We Both Go Down Together" -- The Decemberists - It's hard to chose one of their songs, as the albums as a whole are usually telling a bigger story… They are one of my all-time favorite bands… The last one is a tie between "Stubborn Love" -- The Lumineers and "Lost in My Mind" -- The Head and the Heart… how about half of each song? That's cheating, isn't it? :-) 


What are you currently reading? 
Heather:  A bunch of books relating to art. I haven't given myself much time for other reading lately. I started The Windup Girl a while back and was really enjoying it, but I haven't finished it. 


Have you ever broken someone’s heart? 
Heather:  Yes, sadly, more than one. 


If personalities had an odor, what would you smell like? 
Heather:  Wet pavement and night-blooming jasmine, with hints of sharpened pencil and chili powder. 


You are running in a race and overtake the second-place runner. What position are you now in? 
Heather:  Second, but this is clearly a trick question, because I do not run races. My brain would like me to be an athlete, my knees, not so much.


Describe your happy place? 
Heather:  A giant room filled with big blank canvases, lots of paint, good music and food, shared with a couple of my best artist friends… 


What is the longest period that you have ever gone without taking a bath? 
Heather:  I really like to get clean once a day, it's a habit of mine. So illnesses and surgeries are the only things that have kept me from a shower… probably 4 days… ew. 


What is your theme song? 
Heather:  Thestory of an Artist by Daniel Johnston. 


Have you ever been spanked or spanked someone as an adult? 
Heather:  With or without a paddle? ;-). 


What do you do when you feel sad or depressed? 
Heather:  Draw, listen to music, miss my far away friends, wallow, bake... 


If you were being attacked by the tickle monster, who would you want it to be? 
Heather:  hmmmm.... I was going to say Alan Rickman, but I really prefer his sullen, unimpressed demeanor. Seems like a good tickle monster ought to be smiling, though perhaps in a menacing way... [mmmmmmm… lost in thoughts about Alan Rickman…] ...Sorry, what was the question? 


Do you believe in ghosts? Why? 
Heather:  No, but I love ghost stories, and I like to think my grandmother leaves hints that she's saying hello. 


Describe the perfect kiss using no more than 5 words? 
Heather:  Long awaited and highly anticipated... 


What is your greatest fear? 
Heather:  Being alive, but not living. 


What is the best dish you can cook? 
Heather:  I love to make homemade marshmallows and salted caramels, but I wouldn't call those a dish… I have no trouble in the kitchen. 


Do you truly feel loved? 
Heather:  Yes. 


Thank you, Heather!


No comments: