Monday, February 18, 2013

Harley Chapeau

Rozati Images
We were sitting next to the large window in front of Myagi's Korean Barbecue.  We notice someone setting up on the sidewalk of North Davidson street.  His hat and attire seemed to be from a time period long before the age of the young man wearing them.  We were instantly curious and watched as he setup his folding table.  In minutes, he begins to gather the attention of those who walk the cold streets of NoDa. From the warmth of our table, we watch not only his magic but his gifted ability to draw people toward his act.  It was a chilly day but he made people forget they were cold.  They actually stopped in the middle of their dart between warm buildings to watch with amazement.  There is something about magic that still allows us to relive the wonder
Max Ganly Photography 
of being a child.  The more we watch him, the more we realized he is good, very good. We continued to sit at our table, watching him perform.  We had forgotten what we were talking about before we saw him.  Our full focus was on him and his magic, then it hit me, he had us drawn in too. We had to invite him to answer our 25 best.

by Harley Chapeau
Max Ganly Photography 
I've been street performing for four years. I used to be a successful salesman, but didn't want to do that anymore. I decided to follow my heart and travel and do magic. Not easy. The streets are the toughest venue to master as a magician. Some people don't get it at all, other people will be changed forever. I've worked all over Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina , and New Orleans.  I'll be in Charlotte till the end of April, then who knows where I'll pop up.  I grew up in Alpharetta , Ga. And my first street show was in Athens, Ga. I can do a show for one person or 150 with the gear I carry on my back.  I love my job.    


GALLERY:


VIDEO:

Video interview from the website http://www.knoxnews.com



LINKS:

Feature:  Harley Chapeau Turns Sales into Magic
by Matt Ward
http://www.knoxnews.com

Feature:  A Little Magic for Your Square
by KnoxvilleUrbanGuy



Harley Chapeau answers 25 of the Best


Who was the last person you told "I Love You"?
Harley:  Alexandra, my beautiful, talented, amazing girlfriend!


What will you find in your refrigerator if you looked right now?
Harley:  Eggs, chocolate syrup, milk, spinach, bell peppers, carrots, five peedan eggs, real butter, jam, water, syrup, a bag of old pepperoni, sweet potatoes, brown sugar, packets of sweet and sour sauce, and cheese. I need to go shopping!


What was the last expletive that you used?
Harley:  Fuck.


When was the last time you cried?
Harley:  About four months ago.


What is the worst tasting thing you have ever eaten?
Harley:  Peedan eggs ( preserved duck eggs).


In the film of your life, who plays you and what is the title?
Harley:  River Pheonix in " Beg to Differ! 3-D".


What is the last furry thing that you touched?
Harley:  My bunny, Velcro!


When was the last time you had a hangover?
Harley:  About four months ago.


Do you remember the last time you saw a random act of kindness?
Harley:  Homeless looking guy gave me two bucks and asked if i wanted coffee. Didn't even watch my show.


If your iPod could only hold 3 songs, what would they be?
Harley:  Feel us shaking, by: The Samples, This Ones Gonna Hurt, by: The Bastard Suns, Perhaps Vampire Is A Bit Strong, by: Arctic Monkeys.


What are you currently reading?
Harley:  Your Mind.


Have you ever broken someone’s heart?
Harley:  Bruised a lot of hearts, but they all went on to Love again. :-).


If personalities had an odor, what would you smell like?
Harley:  Dried pillow drool and campfire.


You are running in a race and overtake the second-place runner. What position are you now in?
Harley:  Behind a Kenyan, of course!


Describe your happy place?
Harley:  On the street with a crowd in front of me.


What is the longest period that you have ever gone without taking a bath?
Harley:  Four days. After a camping trip we stopped by my friends house. Took off my flip flops to go inside..looked at the bottom of my feet and put my shoes back on. Feet were black. Lol


What is your theme song?
Harley:  Watching The Wheels: The Samples cover.


Have you ever been spanked or spanked someone as an adult?
Harley:  What's your safeword?


What do you do when you feel sad or depressed?
Harley:  I do a show or practice..


If you were being attacked by the tickle monster, who would you want it to be?
Harley:  Tinkerbelle.


Do you believe in ghosts? Why?
Harley:  No, because they don't exist.


Describe the perfect kiss using no more than 5 words?
Harley:  Chapped lips, morning breath, teeth.


What is your greatest fear?
Harley:  Sharks.


What is the best dish you can cook?
Harley:  Fajitas.

Do you truly feel loved?
Harley:  Today I do.


Thank you, Harley!

1 comment: